The project, which is scheduled to begin construction in 2024, will be Senegal’s largest gas-to-power plant, producing 360 MW from natural gas supplies. It will also run on light crude oil as an alternative fuel.
LFR will incorporate solar energy and largely use indigenous gas from Senegal’s western reserves in the Yakaar-Teranga and Sangomar fields, with excess electricity transferred to neighboring West African countries. The project, which will be finished in 2026, aims to ease electricity shortages, stimulate economic growth, and strengthen regional collaboration.
Cap des Biches – 300 MW
West African Energy, a Senegalese energy company, plans to open Senegal’s first and largest 300 MW combined cycle gas power station in January 2024. The African Finance Corporation, Burkina Faso’s Coris Bank International, and other financial institutions have contributed $348.9 million to the project, which has been under development since March 2021. Senelec owns 15%, while West African Energy controls the remaining 85%. The project, located near Dakar, will use indigenous gas, potentially reducing Senegal’s power rates. Turbines are supplied by General Electric, while engineering and construction are handled by Calik Enerji.
Sendou – 125 MW
Senegal’s Sendou coal-fired power station, with a capacity of 125 MW, has surpassed heavy fuel oil generators as the country’s most cost-effective source of baseload power. The project, which has been ongoing since 2007, is a regional success. It intends to enhance Senegal’s power dependability and cost through a “Build, Own, and Operate” model. It will improve sustainability and economic growth, diversify energy sources, and offer local job opportunities once converted to natural gas. By 2052, the facility is expected to supply around 12% of Senegal’s total annual power demand.
Malicounda – 120 MW
In February 2023, President Macky Sall inaugurated the 120 MW Malicounda Power Plant. It uses Wartsila oil-powered generators for now and will subsequently shift to gas, boasting sophisticated technology and efficiency. The facility provides energy independence, decreasing import prices with Senegal’s projected oil and gas output. The €154 million project was finished on time in February 2023 and improved Senegal’s electricity generation by 8%. The African Development Bank, the Arab Bank for Economic Development in Africa, the West African Development Bank, the OPEC Fund for International Development, and Africa50 provided funding, resulting in unprecedented public-private cooperation that lowers electricity costs.
Tobene – 115 MW
Tobene Power is a large independent power generator in Senegal, with a 115 MW capacity, located 90 Km northeast of Dakar near Taiba Ndiaye. It contributes significantly to the country’s power generation, accounting for around 10% of installed capacity and supplying over 2 million people. The Tobene power plant helps economic development by increasing access to education, industry, agriculture, and healthcare. Azura Power purchased Tobene Power in October 2019 with intentions to convert the plant from heavy fuel oil to gas, in line with Senegal’s growth and environmental targets.
The MSGBC Oil, Gas & Power 2023 conference and expo, which will be held in Nouakchott on November 21-22, will include a panel discussion on electricity availability in the area. The event will emphasize the need for collaboration, strategic planning, and the hastened construction of transmission networks and interconnections to eliminate energy poverty and improve electricity commerce.