The new government, which came into power in 2021, has revived previously dormant hydropower projects with the goal of increasing access to electricity to 65% or perhaps 85% by 2025 and positioning Guinea Conakry as a pioneer in renewable energy.
Souapiti: 450 MW
The Souapiti Hydropower Project, which has been in operation since 2020, is a water conservation program. It has a total installed capacity of 450 MW and is located on the Konkoure River. The dam was built by China International Water & Electric Corporation (CWE), a wholly owned subsidiary of China Three Gorges Corporation. CWE owns and manages the dam jointly with the Guinean government.
Amaria: 300 MW
The Amaria site is located in the Maritime Guinea prefecture of Dubréka, roughly 60 km downstream from Souapiti and immediately below the confluence of the Konkouré and Badi rivers. The project, which is currently under development, intends to fulfill numerous goals, including delivering electricity to mining enterprises in the region, satisfying the public grid’s electricity demand, supplying power to the OMVG network – a transmission network between the four countries of The Gambia, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau and Senegal – and improving the living circumstances of the local population. The project will have a total capacity of 300 MW and is expected to be completed in 2024.
Koukoutamba: 294 MW
The feasibility assessment for the Koukoutamba dam project, located about 400 km from Conakry, is presently underway. The dam will be able to generate 294 MW of power, with a large amount of it destined for export. The project includes the building of a 150-km road linking Labé, the regional capital, to the dam via Tougué, in addition to delivering energy to the Tougué prefecture. The dam’s reservoir is projected to help a variety of industries, including agriculture, cattle husbandry, fishing, navigation, and the supply of drinking water.
Kaleta: 240 MW
The second largest dam in Guinea with a total capacity of 240 MW, Kaleta was commissioned by the Guinean Ministry of Energy and Hydraulics and constructed by CWE group. Inaugurated in 2015, it accompanies the Garafiri Dam on the Konkouré River and contributes to the country’s hydroelectric power generation. According to the Program for Infrastructure Development in Africa, which supported the project, Kaléta is considered a successful example of energy projects on the African continent and will serve as a model for other African countries.
Fomi: 90 MW
The multifunctional Fomi dam in Guinea is planned to begin construction soon. The Republic of Guinea has intended to construct this massive multipurpose dam on the Upper Niger River since 1922, with goals including irrigation for agriculture in Guinea and Mali, energy, and fisheries. The dam is part of the Sino-Guinean Infrastructure Against Mining framework. The Guinean government will subsidize 15% of the building costs, with The China Exim Bank, covering the other 85%. The 90 MW Fomi dam, when finished, will deliver energy to areas of Guinea, Mali, and the West African interconnection networks.
Hon. Aly Seydouba Soumah, Guinea-Conakry’s Minister of Energy, Hydroelectric and Hydrocarbons, who oversees the construction of the hydroelectric projects, will give a keynote speech at the MSGBC Oil, Gas & Power 2023 conference on November 21-22 in Nouakchott, organized by Energy Capital & Power. He will give insights and updates on the current progress of the projects.